Why should your company invest in a Roof Asset Management Program such as TRIP?
Surprisingly, weather is not the most common threat to a roof’s durability. Approximately 40% of all roof problems occur because of human error due to workers going on your roof for window washing, HVAC repair, etc., faulty maintenance or poor installation maintains the largest percentage.
According to data gathered in a 15-year study between Firestone Building Products and ProLogis (Prologis owns 3,840 buildings comprising 814 million square feet in 19 countries in North America, Latin America, Europe, and Asia.), it costs an average of 14 cents per square foot to proactively maintain a roof annually, versus an average of 25 cents per square foot for annual reactive maintenance.
How does PROACTIVELY managing your roofing assets equate to savings?
|Based on a 50,000 Square foot roof that was replaced for $300,000. Assuming a recover at 13 years for a Reactive type maintenance approach.|
|Reactively Maintained||Proactively Maintained|
|Roof Replacement #1||$300,000||$300,000|
|Lifespan||13 Years||21 years|
|Maintenance/Year||$0.25/sf/yr = $$12,500||$0.14/sf/yr = $7,000|
|13 Years of Maintenance||$162,500||$91,000|
|Roof Replacement #2||$287,500||$0|
|8 more years of Maintenance||$100,000||$56,000|
|Total Cost over 21 Years||$850,000||$447,000|
|Savings per Year||$19,190|
Managing your roofing assets provides other benefits above just cost savings. Your roofs are subjected to:
- Varying weather conditions (changes in seasons, storms and severe weather events)
- Natural degradation (UV, contamination, breakdown of components
- Insect and animal damage
- Human caused issues such as in-house and contracted maintenance providers
Most manufacturer warranties specifically spell out very clearly owners are required to perform maintenance annually and maintain maintenance files on their roofing assets to keep warranties intact. Failure to perform maintenance can cause severe damage, premature failures, and risk structural damage. Typically, by the time a leak develops and is noticeable, even minor issues can become expensive and costly to the building owner.
In addition, should a severe weather event occur, you have documented records to provide your insurance carrier as to what has been done on your roofs in terms of maintenance or replacements.
A Tadlock Sales Consultant meets with you, discuss issues that are important such as budget constraints, safety, current or past issues, warranties in place and previous roofing or repair issues and costs.
Costs for the TRIP program are based on several factors to include:
- Building size and square footage of roof area(s)
- Number of sections per building
- Existing roof systems
- Safety concerns
- Roof access
Tadlock schedules and visits each facility, inspects all components associated with the roofing system at each location. This inspection includes:
- Roof decking
- Roof membranes
- Waterproofing membranes
- Projection/Penetration flashings
- Roof insulation – installed below and/or on top of the roof deck
- Securement of components
- Masonry joints, parapets and copings
- Metal flashing components
- Expansion and control joints
- Penetrations to the roof surface (vent pipes, HVAC systems, antennas, etc.)
- Traffic walkways
- Access points
- Drainage (interior or exterior systems)
- Mechanical issues that may affect the systems
- Significant wind buffering areas (usually corners and perimeters)
- Roof expansion joints
- Previous repairs and quality of materials and work
- Current building use versus original design
- Wind loading issues
- Safety issues
All items positive or negative are denoted with photographic and video documentation as necessary. This allows Tadlock to perform an in-depth evaluation on each roof and assemble a comprehensive report which includes a written report, computer drawing indicating sizes, locations of penetrations and curbs, drainage areas as well as any safety issues discovered, projected life expectancy and ongoing maintenance recommendations.
Tadlock assembles the reports and meets with you to discuss the reports, maintenance suggestions, budget concerns and most cost-effective manner to proceed to make the best use of your investment dollars. These files are presented both on paper and digitally so you may review them with others as needed within your company.
Upon signing onto to our TRIP program, immediate maintenance concerns are addressed and documented. Annual or semi-annul inspections are scheduled in advance so they may be incorporated into our service team’s calendars.
Each time our maintenance technicians visits one of your facilities, everything is documented in a report with photographic documentation and provided to you for your files. Tadlock also maintains these maintenance records as well to ensure our technicians can review past issues, repairs and other issues that may need to be inspected during their scheduled visit.
Our TRIP program is designed to make maximum use of your investment dollars.
- Eliminate loss of productivity or downtime due to equipment/product damage
- Extend your roof’s life by allowing issues to be repaired and help avoid premature roof failure. (70%-75% of all roofs are replaced prematurely)
- A well assembled asset management program can help take the guesswork out of your roof repair, maintenance and replacement decisions.
Please fill out the form below to inquire about our TRIP program.